Zakynthos is one of the most beautiful Greek Ionian islands. Lovely, sandy beaches as Ag. Nikolaos, Alikes, Argasi, Gerakas and some others attract the visitors from May to October. Swimming, yachting and fishing can be enjoyed in a glittering turquoise and emerald sea.
Laganas-the most popular 9-km long beach (the longest of Greece) is a good combination with nightlife, and it offers many taverns, bars and restaurants.
Its crystal clear, cool waters are excellent for swimming and other sports. All the beaches of Zakynthos are with fine sand and very safe. You can reach them by car-ferry. The island is linked by ferry with the port of Kyllini (on the northwestern coast of Peloponnese). The international airport is 4 km far from the town of Zakynthos.
The name of the island appears in myths and legends going back to ancient times. “Wooded Zakynthos’ as Homer called the island is the garden island lying opposite the north-western coast of the Peloponnese. The island took its name from the son of the king of Phrygia Dardanus- Zakynthos. The island survived during different dominations-Roman and Byzantine, Frankish, Venetian and others.
This enchanting island was almost entirely destroyed in the earthquake of 1953. The capital, also called Zakynthos, has been rebuilt in an original Venetian style houses and spacious squares. The island is rich in natural attractions. For instance,the eastern coast is surrounded by a low range of hills, on one of which stands a Venetian citadel and fort, while on the other is the plateau of Akrotiri, with its villas, gardens, orchards and olive groves.
The island of Zakynthos developed its own culture, literature, art and music. It offers the visitors an incredible variety of scenery, character and traditions.
In the town of Zakynthos, there are some interesting sightseeings: Solomon Square, the church of St. Nikolas, a statue of Dionysios, Square of St. Markos, the church of Our Lady “Faneromeni” and the church of Our Lady of the Angels.
On the Skinari kape (the most northern part of the island) there are caves which look beautifully. The famous Blue Grotto is the best one. The Blue Caves can be visited by boat from the port of St. Nikolaos. They are one oof the favourite destination for many tourists. If you come here you will enjoy another world of the enchanted island. Do not miss them…
Greece Hotel Deals
- 5 Great reasons to visit Athens, Greece
- The best islands of the Cyclades, Greece
- Thessaloniki, Greece: main tourist attractions
- Santorini, Greece: a visitor guide
- Historic Sites in Greece: UNESCO World Heritage List
- Peloponnese, Greece: ancient Greek sites, beautiful view and clean beaches
- Macedonia, Greece: things to do and see in the largest region of Greece
- Delphi, Greece – one of Greece’s most visited tourist spots
- Paros, Greece Holidays: visiting a traditional Greek island
- Tourist Guide to Santorini
- Zakynthos, beautiful Greek Ionian island with lovely, sandy beaches
- Maleme, Crete – sightseeing and things to do
- Suda Bay, Crete – Things to do
- Meteora, Greece – Majestic, mystical and almost divine
- Things to do in Patra, Greece
- Things to do in Ios, Greece