Ios is an island in the southern Cyclades cluster, well-known for its lively atmosphere, energetic lifestyle and has a reputation for being one of the hotspots for the young who desire endless partying. Yet there are still parts of the island ideal for those who are looking for a peaceful haven to relax in. There are many attractive beaches, and interesting places to visit and while offering a variety of activities to participate in, Ios caters for all types of visitors.
Ios has some very good beaches, including the famous sandy beaches of Milopotas, Agia Theodoti, Psathi, Kalamas and Maganari. Kalamos has a long sandy beach with clear waters ideal for snorkelling.
Mylopotas is the busiest beach on the island and stretches for 1 km and cafes, bars and restaurants, can all be found close by. But for peace and tranquility visitors may find Psathi Beach more to their liking as is still untouched by mass tourism.
The main area of Ios nightlife is located in Chora the capital town, sometimes called Ios Town, with hundreds of bars and clubs lining the narrow alleyways. Party life peaks during the summer holiday season as thousands of visitors from Greece and abroad come to the island. But it is not all partying and there is a wide variety of cafes, restaurants, bars and nightclubs, to choose from by offering high levels of services at sensible and affordable prices.
On Ios there is an abundance of dining venues such as fast food restaurants and souvlaki stands, as well as traditional tavernas and restaurants, which serve freshly caught fish and sea food as well as local cuisine including dishes like stuffed artichokes, mytzithra cheese pies, beans and spinach, grilled octopus, stuffed squid, chick pea balls, and pastries such as kaltsounia and almond sweets.
PLACES TO VISIT
As well as the excellent and varied entertainment, and places to eat, there are some very popular attractions and places of interest for the visitor to enjoy. The Archaeological Museum, located on the ground floor I of the Town Hall is popular and you can see an excellent exhibit of precious findings and artifacts that were found on the island. The visitor can explore the small towns and villages with quaint whitewashed houses.
Greece Hotel Deals
- 5 Great reasons to visit Athens, Greece
- The best islands of the Cyclades, Greece
- Thessaloniki, Greece: main tourist attractions
- Santorini, Greece: a visitor guide
- Historic Sites in Greece: UNESCO World Heritage List
- Peloponnese, Greece: ancient Greek sites, beautiful view and clean beaches
- Macedonia, Greece: things to do and see in the largest region of Greece
- Delphi, Greece – one of Greece’s most visited tourist spots
- Paros, Greece Holidays: visiting a traditional Greek island
- Tourist Guide to Santorini
- Zakynthos, beautiful Greek Ionian island with lovely, sandy beaches
- Maleme, Crete – sightseeing and things to do
- Suda Bay, Crete – Things to do
- Meteora, Greece – Majestic, mystical and almost divine
- Things to do in Patra, Greece
- Things to do in Ios, Greece