Famous for its sea and friendly, sunny weather, Samos is the favourite tourist destination in the north east Aegean and one of the biggest islands of Greece. Visitors to Samos will find people are friendly, with sunny ways and big open hearts. Just the sort of people you want to know!
The purpose of this guide is to gently introduce the visitor to the island and its people and to provide an aid to a memorable and pleasurable stay with lasting and beautiful memories.
Samos is only about 1km from Turkey has become a great favourite with many people. Tourism is the main form of income and agriculture is important with the island growing a lot of fruit and olives. It is also renowned for its building of kaikia, or trehantiria, which are Greek fishing boats.
Tourists generally favour Pythagorion, or the picturesque village of Kokkari for their holidays. Neither have yet been over commercialised and have many traditional shops, restaurants, bars and tavernas. Vathi is the main town and now the capital of Samos and attracts a lot of visitors during the tourist season.
Samos Island Beach
HISTORY AND CULTURE
Samos is rich in history and culture. In ancient times it was a rich island trading with the rest of Greece, the Phoenicians and the Persians.
Greek mythology says the goddess Hera was born on Samos and there are still ruins of her temple to be seen, called the Heraion.
Being an ancient intellectual centre there have been many famous people who lived and worked on the island. Pythagoras was from Samos and one of Greece’s most famous mathematicians and thinkers. Aesop, Epicurus, Herodotos and Aristarchus also lived on the island.
During the 6th and 5th century, the island flourished economically and culturally, but was hindered in its ambitions by Athens in 440 BC and forced to pay yearly tributes. It later became a province of Rome, and Turkey invaded in the 15th century occupying the island for a century and it was not to be Greek again until 1931.
To get to know Samos and its people it is rewarding to explore the villages on the island, especially the ones in the mountains. The adventurous visitor will find many places and sights that will excite curiosity and wonder and meet many local people, who in their own way, are just as curious and exciting as the island. Perhaps even more so!
- Rhodes Holidays – the island of the sun and the island of the knights
- Greek Island Holidays – over two thousand islands to choose from
- Santorini Holidays – an experience you will never forget
- Paros, Greece Holidays: visiting a traditional Greek island
- Best beaches in Greece: Santorini Caldera perfect for romantic travellers
- Greece for a great family vacation
- Historic Sites in Greece: UNESCO World Heritage List
- Zakynthos, beautiful Greek Ionian island with lovely, sandy beaches
- Peloponnese, Greece: ancient Greek sites, beautiful view and clean beaches
- Macedonia, Greece: things to do and see in the largest region of Greece
- Delphi, Greece – one of Greece’s most visited tourist spots
- 5 Great reasons to visit Athens, Greece
- The best islands of the Cyclades, Greece
- Thessaloniki, Greece: main tourist attractions
- Best mountain destinations in Greece
- Santorini, Greece: a visitor guide
- Where to get the best value holidays for your money
- Things to do in Patra, Greece
- Things to do in Ios, Greece
- Island hopping in Greece
- Stalis – popular resort on the east of Crete
- Gerani, Crete – unspoilt and is worth wandering
- Gortyn – largest and one of the most important archaeological sites in Crete
- Kalives, Crete – a charming village on Drapano Peninsula
- Elafonisi Island, Crete
- Agia Galini, Crete South Coast – nothing but tavernas, bars, gift shops and rooms to rent
- Lassithi, Crete – excellent wines and whitewashed windmills
- Paleochora, Crete – excellent sandy beaches
- Rethymnon, Crete – popular choice for visitors to the west of the island
- Malia, Crete Holidays – number one clubbing destination for Brits
- Athens beaches – best beach facilities around Athens coast
- Summer Holidays in Kefalonia, Greece
- Super Paradise Beach, Mykonos – Naturists Enjoy Curving Sandy Bay
- Santorini Sunset: where to stay in Santorini for the best views – Santorini villas, hotels and apartments
- Dodecanese Holidays: Patmos, Lipsi and Agathonissi
- Kalymnos, Greece: Climbing Vacation or Beach Holidays
- Chios, Greece – Stunning Beaches and Medieval Trips in the Past
- Naxos Holidays – the biggest island of the Cyclades archipelago
- Samos Holidays – sunny weather, famous beaches
- Kea Island Holidays – marvellous beaches and interesting places to visit
- Ikaria Holidays – Ikaria Island will not disappoint
- Spetses Island holidays – enjoy a traditional Greek Island
- Best beaches in Greek islands
- Nude beaches in Greece