Patras is the third largest city in Greece and the largest city on the Peloponnese. Patras is a significant port and a center of trade and commerce. Even from a distance one particular can see the Rio–Antirrio bridge crossing the Gulf of Corinth. It connects the town of Rio near Patras on the Peloponnese with the mainland of Greece. The bridge is one of the longest cable-stayed bridges in the planet. The 5-span four-pylon cable-stayed has a length of 7,388 ft.
The bay is regularly run by means of by strong winds in this location. The bridge lies in a seismically active area with sandy subsoil. For the construction of the innovative bridge completely new style principles have been applied.
For some time Patras was under the influence of the Venetians, which nevertheless can be seen in the cityscape nowadays. In 1820 it was destroyed by an earthquake in massive parts. 1821 the Greek struggle for independence flared up in Patras. The Ottomans have been forced back to the citadel. After the evacuation, the Ottomans managed to reconquer the city and destroyed it fully.
In the east of the city close to the harbor is the Greek Orthodox basilica of Saint Andrew – Agios Andreas. It is the biggest church in Greece and 1 of the biggest in Europe with place for five,500 visitors. The central dome has a heigth of 164 ft.