Naxos is the biggest island of the Cyclades archipelago. It enjoys everything that Greece is famous for. Beautiful beaches, rich history, great weather, intense nightlife, and activities that offer tourists unforgettable experiences and memories. Thousands of people from all over the world choose this amazing island for their holidays. Surely, they must know something. This guide will present the most important things to know about a visit to Naxos.
Getting there and around.
Naxos is easily accessible by air and sea. There are daily flights from Athens and Thessalonica. Ferries sail from the port of Piraeus and the voyage lasts 4 to 5 hours. The best way to explore the island is by car or bike. There are numerous rental agencies and a sedan or a small 4WD cost $30 to $40. If anyone does not wish to rent a car, he can get around with the local buses. There are frequent routes to all the beaches and towns.
Naxos City port
Beaches and sights.
Naxos offers dozens of beaches, which are all beautiful and blessed with clear, turquoise waters. The most popular are Agia Anna, Panormos, and Psili Ammos. The southern beaches are ideal for wind surfing and sailing.
The island is full of ancient temples and settlements. The most known in the city of Naxos (Xora) is the Portara, which is the gate of the temple of Apollo and it is the trademark of the island. Interesting sights are also the ancient quarries of the famous local white marble.
Besides Xora there are numerous picturesque villages that worth a visit, especially for tasting the traditional local cuisine.
Dining and nightlife.
Of course, everyone knows that the Greek cuisine is amazing. Besides the famous dishes (mousakas, tzatziki, souvlaki, gyros, fresh fish and seafood to name a few) a tourist must try the local recipes. The best options are rooster, lobster pasta, lamb, mussels, and cheese pie. There are numerous restaurants in Xora, but the best are located in the fishing villages all around the island. A full meal costs $20 per person, including a bottle of ouzo, or wine.
Nightlife in Naxos is amazing. There are hundreds of cafes, bars, nightclubs, and beach bars everywhere. Beers cost $5 and hard drinks $10 ($12 in nightclubs). A traveler should know that Greeks go out for dinner after 9pm. Then they go to a café or a bar until 1-2am, and finally to a nightclub until dawn. And the tourists seem to enjoy it since they all adapt to the Greek way of entertainment.
- Rhodes Holidays – the island of the sun and the island of the knights
- Greek Island Holidays – over two thousand islands to choose from
- Santorini Holidays – an experience you will never forget
- Paros, Greece Holidays: visiting a traditional Greek island
- Best beaches in Greece: Santorini Caldera perfect for romantic travellers
- Greece for a great family vacation
- Historic Sites in Greece: UNESCO World Heritage List
- Zakynthos, beautiful Greek Ionian island with lovely, sandy beaches
- Peloponnese, Greece: ancient Greek sites, beautiful view and clean beaches
- Macedonia, Greece: things to do and see in the largest region of Greece
- Delphi, Greece – one of Greece’s most visited tourist spots
- 5 Great reasons to visit Athens, Greece
- The best islands of the Cyclades, Greece
- Thessaloniki, Greece: main tourist attractions
- Best mountain destinations in Greece
- Santorini, Greece: a visitor guide
- Where to get the best value holidays for your money
- Things to do in Patra, Greece
- Things to do in Ios, Greece
- Island hopping in Greece
- Stalis – popular resort on the east of Crete
- Gerani, Crete – unspoilt and is worth wandering
- Gortyn – largest and one of the most important archaeological sites in Crete
- Kalives, Crete – a charming village on Drapano Peninsula
- Elafonisi Island, Crete
- Agia Galini, Crete South Coast – nothing but tavernas, bars, gift shops and rooms to rent
- Lassithi, Crete – excellent wines and whitewashed windmills
- Paleochora, Crete – excellent sandy beaches
- Rethymnon, Crete – popular choice for visitors to the west of the island
- Malia, Crete Holidays – number one clubbing destination for Brits
- Athens beaches – best beach facilities around Athens coast
- Summer Holidays in Kefalonia, Greece
- Super Paradise Beach, Mykonos – Naturists Enjoy Curving Sandy Bay
- Santorini Sunset: where to stay in Santorini for the best views – Santorini villas, hotels and apartments
- Dodecanese Holidays: Patmos, Lipsi and Agathonissi
- Kalymnos, Greece: Climbing Vacation or Beach Holidays
- Chios, Greece – Stunning Beaches and Medieval Trips in the Past
- Naxos Holidays – the biggest island of the Cyclades archipelago
- Samos Holidays – sunny weather, famous beaches
- Kea Island Holidays – marvellous beaches and interesting places to visit
- Ikaria Holidays – Ikaria Island will not disappoint
- Spetses Island holidays – enjoy a traditional Greek Island
- Best beaches in Greek islands
- Nude beaches in Greece