The Greek island of Kea in the Cyclades group of islands is for those who like their Greek holidays ‘Greek’ with plenty of tradition and atmosphere, marvellous beaches and interesting places to visit.
Kea is less commercialized than other Greek islands such as Mykonos or Ios. For many holiday-makers wanting to get away from the glare of bright lights and the beat of disco music this is a big bonus. Not every one who wants a Greek holiday wants to boogie the night and day away in an alcoholic haze.
What Kea lacks in modern day sophistication it gains much more in old world Greek charm. and tradition and this is its appeal. Nevertheless, the island is growing increasingly more commercial as tour operators and investors seek out ever new resorts to develop and invest in.
Ioulida, Kea Island
Kea is one of the greenest of the Cyclades islands with generally a mild, dry climate. If you do venture into the mountains it is advisable to take something warm.
Winters are quite temperate with temperatures not usually dropping below 8 degrees Celsius. Spring is mild and pleasant and the island is blessed with the blooming of multitudes of flowers transforming Kea into a floral paradise.
In summer temperatures are generally between 25 and 30 degrees Celsius with warm sunny days. In Autumn the climate is comfortable with temperatures ranging roughly between 15 and 25 degrees Celsius
Those visitors who enjoy swimming or sunbathing will be delighted. Many of the beaches are sandy and golden and shaded by tamarisk trees. The seas are marvellously clear and refreshing. Whether you like to swim or just lounge in the shallows allowing the gentle waves to wash over you it is very therapeutic and rejuvenating.
Kea Island, Greece
Some of the popular beaches have snack bars and cafes while others such as Mavrambeli and Xyla are less commercial and you may need to take your own refreshments or packed lunch.
Near the port of Korssia on the northwest part of Kea Melissaki, Otzias, Gialiskari, Mavrambeli and. Xyla are well favoured. On the southwest of the island there are some marvellous beaches such as Kastelakia, Lygia, Liparo, Koundouros and Pisses.
There are many good beaches all around the island that can be reached by public transport and some can only be reached only by boat.
- Rhodes Holidays – the island of the sun and the island of the knights
- Greek Island Holidays – over two thousand islands to choose from
- Santorini Holidays – an experience you will never forget
- Paros, Greece Holidays: visiting a traditional Greek island
- Best beaches in Greece: Santorini Caldera perfect for romantic travellers
- Greece for a great family vacation
- Historic Sites in Greece: UNESCO World Heritage List
- Zakynthos, beautiful Greek Ionian island with lovely, sandy beaches
- Peloponnese, Greece: ancient Greek sites, beautiful view and clean beaches
- Macedonia, Greece: things to do and see in the largest region of Greece
- Delphi, Greece – one of Greece’s most visited tourist spots
- 5 Great reasons to visit Athens, Greece
- The best islands of the Cyclades, Greece
- Thessaloniki, Greece: main tourist attractions
- Best mountain destinations in Greece
- Santorini, Greece: a visitor guide
- Where to get the best value holidays for your money
- Things to do in Patra, Greece
- Things to do in Ios, Greece
- Island hopping in Greece
- Stalis – popular resort on the east of Crete
- Gerani, Crete – unspoilt and is worth wandering
- Gortyn – largest and one of the most important archaeological sites in Crete
- Kalives, Crete – a charming village on Drapano Peninsula
- Elafonisi Island, Crete
- Agia Galini, Crete South Coast – nothing but tavernas, bars, gift shops and rooms to rent
- Lassithi, Crete – excellent wines and whitewashed windmills
- Paleochora, Crete – excellent sandy beaches
- Rethymnon, Crete – popular choice for visitors to the west of the island
- Malia, Crete Holidays – number one clubbing destination for Brits
- Athens beaches – best beach facilities around Athens coast
- Summer Holidays in Kefalonia, Greece
- Super Paradise Beach, Mykonos – Naturists Enjoy Curving Sandy Bay
- Santorini Sunset: where to stay in Santorini for the best views – Santorini villas, hotels and apartments
- Dodecanese Holidays: Patmos, Lipsi and Agathonissi
- Kalymnos, Greece: Climbing Vacation or Beach Holidays
- Chios, Greece – Stunning Beaches and Medieval Trips in the Past
- Naxos Holidays – the biggest island of the Cyclades archipelago
- Samos Holidays – sunny weather, famous beaches
- Kea Island Holidays – marvellous beaches and interesting places to visit
- Ikaria Holidays – Ikaria Island will not disappoint
- Spetses Island holidays – enjoy a traditional Greek Island
- Best beaches in Greek islands
- Nude beaches in Greece