Island hopping the Greek Islands can be an entertaining, enjoyable, fun and rewarding holiday. It is suitable for all ages but would need to be adapted for the less able-bodied. The cost can be reasonable and the possibilities are endless. Here is some advice on Island hopping in Greece for the novice.
There are many islands to choose from. Some are near to mainland Greece. For these you could base yourself on the mainland and hop to and from. The Greek Islands are in groups such as the Dodecanese and the Saronic. You could hop around the islands in a particular group or travel further distances. The choice is yours.
To organise a island hopping holiday you have a few choices. You could hire a boat and ferry yourselves around, perhaps staying on the boat. You could book to join an island hopping holiday. This could be a formal booking through a travel agent, with organised stops. Alternatively you could join a small boat which may have a handful of other passengers and a small crew.
For me however the best way is diy ‘Do It Yourself’
Island hopping as a holiday began as a way to experience the real Greek Islands with freedom,and as a local, almost. Most Islands have regular ferry services. Locals use these to get to work or go shopping on the bigger islands for example.
If you travel on these ferries you have the freedom to pick where and when, and go native.
Research your islands well. Some are great if you want a peaceful laid back atmosphere with gentle country walks. Others have wild night-life for the young. So think what you want to get out of your holiday before deciding.Check out the Internet when considering your holiday. This will enable you to check ferry timings and prices and cost your holiday. Well at least roughly.
You can probably book through a travel agent. Some visitors will want to know that they have accommodation waiting for them Others will be happy to find something when they arrive. Remember though at certain times of the year the islands will be busy and accommodation, which is good and good value, may be hard to find.
Don’t pack as you would normally. If you are going to be constantly traveling you need to travel as light as possible.A word of warning also. Ferries can be held up in the harbour for a while if the weather dictates so have a contingency plan and fund. If you can’t make your destination you may have to find accommodation at the last minute.
In conclusion I would say Island hopping is perfect for visitors who like freedom. You can customize your holiday to perfection staying one night here and maybe four nights there. You can choose to visit an Island when it has special celebrations and then move one to another where they are just starting their special event. All Greek island are so different you will almost feel as if you are visiting a different country each time. Some, such as the Ionian Islands are much greener and have a little more rain. Samos in the Saronic Islands has a much drier and hotter climate.The one consistency will be the warm welcome the Greeks give you as they are all equally welcoming.
Greece Hotel Deals
- 5 Great reasons to visit Athens, Greece
- The best islands of the Cyclades, Greece
- Rhodes Holidays – the island of the sun and the island of the knights
- Greek Island Holidays – over two thousand islands to choose from
- Santorini Holidays – an experience you will never forget
- Paros, Greece Holidays: visiting a traditional Greek island
- Island hopping in Greece
- Stalis – popular resort on the east of Crete
- Gerani, Crete – unspoilt and is worth wandering
- Gortyn – largest and one of the most important archaeological sites in Crete
- Kalives, Crete – a charming village on Drapano Peninsula
- Elafonisi Island, Crete
- Agia Galini, Crete South Coast – nothing but tavernas, bars, gift shops and rooms to rent
- Lassithi, Crete – excellent wines and whitewashed windmills
- Paleochora, Crete – excellent sandy beaches
- Rethymnon, Crete – popular choice for visitors to the west of the island
- Malia, Crete Holidays – number one clubbing destination for Brits
- Athens beaches – best beach facilities around Athens coast
- Summer Holidays in Kefalonia, Greece
- Super Paradise Beach, Mykonos – Naturists Enjoy Curving Sandy Bay
- Santorini Sunset: where to stay in Santorini for the best views – Santorini villas, hotels and apartments
- Dodecanese Holidays: Patmos, Lipsi and Agathonissi
- Kalymnos, Greece: Climbing Vacation or Beach Holidays
- Chios, Greece – Stunning Beaches and Medieval Trips in the Past
- Naxos Holidays – the biggest island of the Cyclades archipelago
- Samos Holidays – sunny weather, famous beaches
- Kea Island Holidays – marvellous beaches and interesting places to visit
- Ikaria Holidays – Ikaria Island will not disappoint
- Spetses Island holidays – enjoy a traditional Greek Island
- Best beaches in Greek islands
- Nude beaches in Greece
- Best beaches in Greece: Santorini Caldera perfect for romantic travellers
- Greece for a great family vacation