Greece arguably offers the widest choice of vacation anywhere in the Mediterranean, if not the world. Apart from the mainland, there are over two thousand islands to choose from although a large proportion of these are only accessible by sea.
With such a wealth of islands, it is little wonder that the Greek hero Odysseus reputedly took some ten years to return home to his homeland of Ithaka after The Trojan War. Some islands are little more than rocks and there are many that remain largely uninhabited and are natural havens for wildlife.
There are people who say: ‘If you‘ve seen one Greek Island then you’ve seen them all’ but this is largely untrue. Each island has its own individuality and unique attractions even if there are others close by which share a similar climate. For instance there is no other island like Santorini (in the Cyclades group) with its massive volcanic cliffs and picture postcard villages perched precipitously above the coastline. Santorini villas are also exceptional.
Although geographically speaking the Greek islands all lay in the Mediterranean Sea there are other seas within this sea; there is The Ionian to the west of Mainland Greece, The Myrtoan Sea to the east, The Aegean to the North East and the Sea of Crete to the south east.
The main groups of islands are as follows and for the purposes of this article we will concentrate on just one island from each group:
Corfu is indisputably the most visited of the Ionian group, having embraced tourism on a grand scale from the very onset of package holidays. If it is golden sands you adore and soft yielding sand underfoot when you take swim then look no further than Glyfada on Corfu’s west coast. Here you can sunbathe without the constant feeling that you are a feature in an ornamental rock garden. The children can build sandcastles to their heart’s content and topless and even nude sunbathing is allowed on certain parts of the beach. So for those in search of an all over tan, Glyfada can be as near to paradise as they can get. Corfu also boasts an interesting beach at Sidari which has quite unique rock formations and is thus worthy of a mention. Paleokastritsa too has an individual atmosphere that has made it increasingly popular.
Greece Hotel Deals
- 5 Great reasons to visit Athens, Greece
- The best islands of the Cyclades, Greece
- Rhodes Holidays – the island of the sun and the island of the knights
- Greek Island Holidays – over two thousand islands to choose from
- Santorini Holidays – an experience you will never forget
- Paros, Greece Holidays: visiting a traditional Greek island
- Island hopping in Greece
- Stalis – popular resort on the east of Crete
- Gerani, Crete – unspoilt and is worth wandering
- Gortyn – largest and one of the most important archaeological sites in Crete
- Kalives, Crete – a charming village on Drapano Peninsula
- Elafonisi Island, Crete
- Agia Galini, Crete South Coast – nothing but tavernas, bars, gift shops and rooms to rent
- Lassithi, Crete – excellent wines and whitewashed windmills
- Paleochora, Crete – excellent sandy beaches
- Rethymnon, Crete – popular choice for visitors to the west of the island
- Malia, Crete Holidays – number one clubbing destination for Brits
- Athens beaches – best beach facilities around Athens coast
- Summer Holidays in Kefalonia, Greece
- Super Paradise Beach, Mykonos – Naturists Enjoy Curving Sandy Bay
- Santorini Sunset: where to stay in Santorini for the best views – Santorini villas, hotels and apartments
- Dodecanese Holidays: Patmos, Lipsi and Agathonissi
- Kalymnos, Greece: Climbing Vacation or Beach Holidays
- Chios, Greece – Stunning Beaches and Medieval Trips in the Past
- Naxos Holidays – the biggest island of the Cyclades archipelago
- Samos Holidays – sunny weather, famous beaches
- Kea Island Holidays – marvellous beaches and interesting places to visit
- Ikaria Holidays – Ikaria Island will not disappoint
- Spetses Island holidays – enjoy a traditional Greek Island
- Best beaches in Greek islands
- Nude beaches in Greece
- Best beaches in Greece: Santorini Caldera perfect for romantic travellers
- Greece for a great family vacation