Athens’s proximity to the coast offers a variety of opportunities to people to engage in beach activities while enjoying your stay in the city. Most beach facilities in Athens are no more than 30-40 minutes away from the centre, if you take the bus or a taxi. The Metro is also quite useful. While from mid-June to early September most beach facilities are crowded, with a variety of sports to engage in, a visit is definitely worth the trouble.
Best beach facilities
Closest to the centre of Athens, only 7 miles away, is Glyfada beach.
About 12 miles away from the centre and often enough less crowded than Glyfada, is Voula beach.
Further in the south, about 3 miles, is Vouliagmeni beach, which is almost as crowded as Glyfada is, but offers a huge range of beach activities to choose from.
What is important to note, is that there are nice hotels in both Vouliagmeni and Voula, and of of them have beaches with changing facilities and sports activities. There is usually an entrance fee of $5-7, but considering the activities that are offered for many hours, it cannot be considered expensive.
Sailing is quite popular in the beaches of Glyfada and Voula. Competitions are quite common among adults, and there are even certain sailing events help specifically for children, after some much needed courses. You will be pleased to know that there are companies that hire boats with experienced crew.
Tennis and rackets
Especially in Glyfada, there are tennis courts where you can play tennis with your friends to your heart’s content. Those who do not know how to play tennis, usually play rackets at the beach, in close proximity to the sea.
Canoeing is also an option in most of the beaches in Athens. Small canoe boats are available for rent for an minimum fee of $2 per hour. You can choose between single boats and double boats.
Pedal boats are also widely used in most of the beaches near Athens. With pedal boats, two people are allowed to sit next to each other and pedal together in the sea. Pedal boats are available for rent for a minimum fee of $3-4 per hour. It is possible to rent a pedal boat for half an hour as hell, at half the charge.
With all those beach activities, your stay in Athens will definitely be pleasant enough. Choose what suits you best and go for it.
Greece Hotel Deals
- 5 Great reasons to visit Athens, Greece
- The best islands of the Cyclades, Greece
- Rhodes Holidays – the island of the sun and the island of the knights
- Greek Island Holidays – over two thousand islands to choose from
- Santorini Holidays – an experience you will never forget
- Paros, Greece Holidays: visiting a traditional Greek island
- Island hopping in Greece
- Stalis – popular resort on the east of Crete
- Gerani, Crete – unspoilt and is worth wandering
- Gortyn – largest and one of the most important archaeological sites in Crete
- Kalives, Crete – a charming village on Drapano Peninsula
- Elafonisi Island, Crete
- Agia Galini, Crete South Coast – nothing but tavernas, bars, gift shops and rooms to rent
- Lassithi, Crete – excellent wines and whitewashed windmills
- Paleochora, Crete – excellent sandy beaches
- Rethymnon, Crete – popular choice for visitors to the west of the island
- Malia, Crete Holidays – number one clubbing destination for Brits
- Athens beaches – best beach facilities around Athens coast
- Summer Holidays in Kefalonia, Greece
- Super Paradise Beach, Mykonos – Naturists Enjoy Curving Sandy Bay
- Santorini Sunset: where to stay in Santorini for the best views – Santorini villas, hotels and apartments
- Dodecanese Holidays: Patmos, Lipsi and Agathonissi
- Kalymnos, Greece: Climbing Vacation or Beach Holidays
- Chios, Greece – Stunning Beaches and Medieval Trips in the Past
- Naxos Holidays – the biggest island of the Cyclades archipelago
- Samos Holidays – sunny weather, famous beaches
- Kea Island Holidays – marvellous beaches and interesting places to visit
- Ikaria Holidays – Ikaria Island will not disappoint
- Spetses Island holidays – enjoy a traditional Greek Island
- Best beaches in Greek islands
- Nude beaches in Greece
- Best beaches in Greece: Santorini Caldera perfect for romantic travellers
- Greece for a great family vacation